Sunday, June 2, 2013

To the River and Back

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Deep shady woods with flowery skirts
Sun on my back and on shining water
Swirling furrows in freshly-plowed fields

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It seems an age since I've had a decent ride (or a decent post for that matter). A long stretch of inclement weather, and a tightly-packed schedule, have combined to keep me off the road and off the computer. (Though I did have a short, rather memorable ride on Thursday, which included lightning, thunder, high winds, and very heavy rain. It took three days for my shoes to dry out.)

Today I have planned a good long trip to the river and back. The morning is grim and grey, but by mid-afternoon some shreds of blue sky begin to appear between the clouds - time to hit the road. The wind is cold, coming from the north and west at 7-15 mph.

A few miles out, I realise that I have left Tallulah behind. (Oh the shame of it - will she ever forgive me? A frantic last-minute search for a misplaced cell phone is my only excuse for forgetting her. I hope she understands.)

May has gone out in a glory of blossom, and June promises to be equally lovely. I turn down a favourite road to find Salsify, or Yellow Goatsbeard (nudge nudge, Marigold), shining brightly on either side. According to my wildflower book, Goatsbeard "only opens on sunny mornings and closes by noon". This must be a special variety which opens on cloudy mornings and stays open well after noon:


For a few weeks now I've been eyeing the ditches, knowing that they are full of wild asparagus. If only I had my sister's super asparagus-spotting powers, I'd have been picking and eating it by the armful. But alas, I never spot it until it has started to go to seed:


Honeysuckle is profuse this spring. On one short stretch of road I see four varieties. Darker pink, with compact blossoms:


Pale pink, with long-legged starry blossoms:


And two kinds of white, some leggy and starlike (not pictured), and some with slightly fuller blooms:


Around a corner is a large patch of mystery blossoms, which look pale yellow from a distance...


...but rather more green when seen up close.


The wildflower book identifies this as Leafy Spurge, "a very aggressive European import officially considered a noxious weed in Wisconsin". It's poisonous and very difficult to eradicate, but rather picturesque all the same.


The lovely Dame's Rocket is everywhere right now, decorating the roadsides and filling the ditches with vivid orchid, pale pink, and white blossoms:


This shade is my favourite:


Today I am following a new-to-me road that curves and rolls through farmland towards the river. I pass an old barn, complete with pond, outbuildings, and a full complement of battered farm vehicles parked behind:


It's Honey Locust season, and the air is full of sweetness. I pass stretch after stretch of the blossoming trees covered with dainty white clusters of bloom:


The flowers and leaves remind me of pea plants...


...which is explained by the fact that Honey Locust and peas are both members of the Fabaceae family. (Thanks, Wikipedia.)


I'm riding parallel to the river now. I pass a vine-adorned telephone pole:


The road dips and rolls for several miles, then crosses over the interstate, and drops down to the very shore of the Wisconsin River:


The water is still pretty high, thanks no doubt to the generous rainfall, and many of the little piers along this stretch are almost awash.

A few more miles and I reach a causeway that stretches across a bay at the edge of Lake Wisconsin. Time for a break and a snack.

I dismount from Iris (who is casting a fine shadow, thanks to the now abundant sun)...


...and climb down through the grass to a rocky seat at the lake's edge. The sun feels wonderfully warm, and is striking lovely sparks from the water as I eat my snack.


To my right and left are fishermen (and women). In front is the wide lake, ringed by wooded bluffs:



I'd love to sit here for hours, soaking up the warm sun, but there's a ride to finish - so back on the bike I go. One last look at the lake, then it's up the hill at the far end of the causeway and turn left for home.

Through some lovely green farming valleys (with great swathes of honey locust trees in bloom)...


...over the interstate again, on a different bridge this time...


...past woods and meadows and a rather noisy field, where through the pines can be glimpsed a dump truck unloading some rock...


...through a charming small town and out the other side, where stands this very handsome barn...


...and up a long, long, gradual climb where I am passed by a friendly (and much faster) cyclist. We exchange a few words as he buzzes by, and though there's no chance of catching up to him, I am spurred on to ride a little harder.

My road turns north. I'm feeling pretty strong, and essay a few intervals. But a short, steep hill about 8 miles from home seems suddenly to drain all my energy, and I find myself dragging. My shoulders and neck start to ache (for the first time this year). I realise uneasily that 4 weeks from now, I'll be riding much farther than this. Will I be ready? (I hope so.)

A blackbird on a wire turns to look as I go slowly past:


Tiredness aside, there are still photos to be taken. A large piece of farm machinery peeks out from behind some trees at the edge of a swirl-furrowed field:


All around is the sound of tractors busy making hay while the sun shines. A freshly-mown field is striped with green:


A few miles from home, feeling chilled (the wind has never warmed up, and is getting colder as the sun sinks), and very tired indeed, I stop on a bridge for one last photo of this rather gorgeous creek...


...and take the opportunity to do some shoulder shrugs - hoping to loosen things up a bit.

The break or the shoulder shrugs - or both - seem to help and I get a bit of a second wind. In fifteen minutes I'm home - cold, tired, congested (it's high allergy season), and sore. Mr. M obligingly gives me a shoulder rub (bless him), which takes the edge off the stiffness. A hot shower, a hot meal, and lots of hot sweet tea go a long way towards restoring me to life. (I'm sure a sports drink of some kind would be more appropriate, but a nice hot cuppa with plenty of sugar is much more comforting. Replenishes the carbs, you know.)

A good ride, all in all. But it has made me realise that I am definitely not ready for Colorado (yet). Four weeks more to train - I do hope the weather stays clear to allow for riding.

Miles today: 45
Miles this year: 620.8

P.S. Tallulah slept the entire time I was gone, and never even missed me. :)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


43 comments:

  1. So many beautiful things to see at this time of year in nature. I particularly like the roadside flowers and that snack of yours looks like a healthy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra - the flowers are very beautiful right now. :)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely day you had! Thank you for sharing pictures - I feel like I was there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming along, and for commenting! :)

      Delete
  3. Dear Sue,

    Well done Sue! You are an inspiration to us all. Do you get the shakes (due to low sugar leves) when you're tired at the end of a long ride?

    I am most certainly not in your bike league but I am becoming more and more hooked on my cycle rides. Though much shorter I need to get out two or three times a week now.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie. I did get shaky last night - I think I didn't eat enough during the ride.

      Enjoy your vineyard rides! :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures, I can imagine it is pure bliss riding through the country in this season!
    Well done for the 45 miles! I have never done that!
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I haven't done it since last year, and I need to be ready to go much farther at the end of this month!

      It is lovely right now, except when we're having thunderstorms. :)

      Delete
  5. This looks like a lovely ride. Try not to worry about Colorado, there is still some time and I'm sure the atmosphere on the day will help. I have just finished a run which I was very worried about, I really hadn't trained enough, but it was fine and I even enjoyed some of it! Juliex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Julie - and I'm trying not to worry. (Actually the altitude is what scares me....)

      And thanks for the encouragement. :)

      Delete
  6. Such a gorgeous ride this time!loved the picturesque creek and its banks... so soothing to look at the water, as it flows or stands or..I need to get out of the city SOON! it is getting hot here again...
    Have a wonderful day, Mrs. Micawber!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna. I hope you find some quiet, cool place with running water to enjoy. :)

      Delete
  7. Such a beautiful area you live in m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, T-a. It is very lovely here, and I appreciate it afresh every spring. :)

      Delete
  8. Hello Sue, Such a very lovely Spring ride along the byways of America. My favorite is always seeing a Barn.. I am sure Tallulah will forgive your error this Time.. LOL Thanks for sharing all the wonderful photo of your trip. I am sure you will be ready for the big event. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy - I do hope so! As for Tallulah, I am maintaining a reticent silence regarding this ride, and hope she will not realise that I left her behind on such a lovely day.... :)

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much for taking us along on your bike ride. I love seeing all the pretty pictures of the places you journey too on your bike ride.

    The last photo of the creek, honestly looks like a painting. It's beautiful.

    I know you will be ready in four weeks. I am looking forward to more bike ride journeys with you in the future. :)

    Blessings always dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki - I HOPE I'm ready! The creek (which really looks like a river, doesn't it?) was very beautiful last night. :)

      Delete
  10. -happy sigh-

    What more needs to be said?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have given pleasure. Thanks Auntie. :)

      Delete
  11. Lovely photos, particularly the last one. I always ache after one of your rides. You have my sympathy about the allergies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet - do you find your legs getting stronger from reading all these posts? ;)

      The allergies are rather awful - my head was so plugged up, I think it contributed to the tiredness. Ah well. Allergies are the price we pay for so much beauty in the countryside, I guess.

      Delete
  12. What absolutely beautiful scenery. My goodness, every view is breathtaking. Good riding on your part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, e. It turned out to be a very lovely afternoon and I feel lucky to have been out in it. :)

      Delete
  13. I think I will try some distance cycling! I need comfy bike shorts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, comfy shorts are a must! Even so it takes a few weeks to get hardened up in the sit-me-down-upon area - but it's worth it, I think.

      Good luck and I hope to read some cycling posts soon. :)

      Delete
  14. First off, whoever in the world heard of a yellow goat's beard? Unless, perhaps, it is a new generation thing. I suppose one never knows. And second, just so you know, Tallulah was faking.
    Officially, I LOVE the red barn picture. Wow. A goat could get lost in such a place and just imagine how many Peanuts it could hold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did wonder if it was the beard of a yellow goat, or a yellow beard of a goat.... I was hoping you could clarify it for me. :)

      You may be right about Tallulah - her expression never varies so I never really know what she's thinking unless she tells me.

      That barn is quite spectacular - I would have loved a better photo but it sits WAY back from the road and this was the best I could do.

      Delete
  15. Tea has natural anti-oxidants! That's my first choice! Then water if no tea.

    I'm so glad to know the identity of the leafy spurge. I've been trying to decipher that one since about last July.

    What a lovely ride with lovely scenery, and how wonderful the weather cleared up for you.

    You will be ready for Colorado! I just know it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I hope so ... I mean to give it my best shot anyway.

      It's rather funny about the leafy spurge - I opened my wildflower book to look up something else, and landed right on that page. Eureka! :)

      Delete
  16. Lovely photos, especially that last one, it's beautiful. I'm sure you'll be ready for your event. Are you planning to try and race it and get a good time and place or are you just expecting to enjoy the event and try and keep up with the main pack?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne - and regarding the ride, I'll be happy just to finish! Both days. It will be the longest ride I've ever done (twice). I don't know if it's timed, or if it's even possible to place. If it were I wouldn't stand a chance, unless there's a special category for Pudgy 50-Year-Olds from Wisconsin. :)

      Delete
  17. I love your cycling posts! You have some lovely scenic areas to ride. I think you are doing great...45 miles is a great effort...5 miles more than I did Sunday. A shame Tallulah missed your ride but I'm sure she was rejuvenated after her sleep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo hoo - you're back on the bike! That's very exciting news! :)

      And thanks for the encouragement.

      Delete
  18. What an amazingly beautiful ride. All the pretty flowers. 45 miles is a loooong ride. I hope the weather remains nice so that you can get your training rides in. It has been so nasty here that any ride would include rain and maybe some thunder. ( I know you experienced that, but it can't be run to ride in those conditions). Good luck. I will not tell Tallulah you rode without her. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth - I imagine your weather has been pretty much like ours. I think we had thunderstorms for 10 days straight. Ugh. :)

      Delete
  19. I think a nap would probably do Tallulah a lot of good, even if she would have liked to join you on your ride. :) I really like your new header!

    I nominated you for the Reader Appreciation Award:
    http://cogaroocrafts.wordpress.com/2013/06/04/the-reader-appreciation-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Cogaroo! That's very kind of you. :)

      Delete
  20. You make me wish I could still ride a bike more than a short distance (blimmin' arthritis, it's in my feet!)

    Lovely post Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - and a pox on that arthritis! (Which sounds a bit mixed but you know what I mean.) :)

      Delete
  21. What a wonderful ride during a most beautiful season! Asleep? That is a turtle for ya'! Always in super slo-mo...but they do still always seem to win the race. ;-) Lesson learned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the sleep ... perhaps I should nap more and ride less. :)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....